Friday, November 7, 2008

The usual car repair SNAFU sort of thing

The starter has been acting a bit odd lately when the car is cold. I have needed to turn it three or four times before the engine catches. So I figure no big deal, I'll take the car in and have it looked at so that I can at least be sure that I can start the car in the morning.

So I drop the boys at school and drive over to the Midas where I've been taking it for a few years. So they look it over and tell me that it's the starter. And the battery connections. And the battery. And the wires. And maybe the spark plugs. Oh, and while you're here, how about tires and alignment? They're awful worn out. (And I got them at a place with a long warranty.... but the place has closed down.)

Oh, and then an hour later, after closer inspection, there's a leak in your water pump.

I'm holding off on the tires for the moment, but the rest is almost $1500.

And, oh we forgot to mention when we told you about it, but the water pump thing? That'll take 3 more hours on top of what we're already doing.

So they gave me a ride home and I called friends to get the boys from school, because unless the garage takes fewer than 3 hours, we'll be cutting it pretty fine to pick them up on time.

And there aren't any visible exhaust issues, but who knows. My SMOG test is coming up and we'll just have to see if it passes.

So once again I am asking myself: just how long do I go on fixing a ten year old car?

BUT Isabelle was really happy and calm for the whole time. We went to Target and she was enjoying herself. I fed her a bit and then let her crawl on the floor, where she managed to not pick up too much stuff to put in her mouth or crack her head on the tiles, though her sleeves and hands were filthy black from their floors. She played in the water in the sink when I went to wash her hands. It was only then that they told me three MORE hours. I would've come home about an hour sooner if I had known.

No comments: