Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Cool book group last night!

We read Wake by Lisa McMann this month. I had read it last summer and loved it after it was reviewed on Smart Bitches or maybe Trashionista or maybe somewhere else. Made my mom read it, though she looked at me funny and didn't feel the same level of loooove for it. Hey, I like quirky, I like the woowoo stuff, and the boyfriend part was sweet.

It's a YA book (young adult) and is a quick, easy read. The reading level was fairly low, but the subject matter was definitely high school age (maybe junior high, but read it yourself before you hadn it to your 6th grader).

Anyway, one of our book group members was contacted on facebook by an old acquaintance from college.... Lisa McMann. So we read her book and I read it again. On second reading, I can see more of the structure, the flaws, etc, but I still loved it.

AND we met at the office of another group member so we could have Ms. McMann on speakerphone. She was very nice, talked about stuff with us like the inspiration of the book (a dream. Go figure) and a tiny bit about the next 2 books in the series, though she wouldn't answer some of our guesswork, because it has to be a surprise for the other books. And she told us a secret :)

Her next book in the series, Fade, is out in February.

No comments: