Friday, November 21, 2008

Genealogy (as a form of procrastination)

I was checking my email and had a message through the ancestry.com site telling me who my g-g-grandmother's parents were. For those of you at home, that's Jennie Romer (mother of Mary Koelsch, grandmother of Grandpa Laatsch), though the last name it came up with from someone else's tree in Holland is Reimer or Riemer.

So now with ancestry hints, I've got a few generations back from Jennie Romer's mother (though ancestry seems to lose the trail of her father right away.) so back to Van Eerde, Prenger, van Polden, and Schermerts as HER grandparents, then another generation or two through the Van Eerde side. They're all from Noord-Holland.

And Schermerts makes me think "Ich habe Schmertzkopfen" which is one of the few German phrases I have retained from my brief stint in college.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Phyllis,

I love "Schmerztkopfen"! From now on when I have a bad headache, I'll only use this expression ;-)

Doris in Munich, formerly thinking it'd be called Kopfschmerzen

Philippa Lodge said...

Ah rats! Somehow I thought it wasn't quite right. LOL! I have an achehead indeed.