Friday, February 13, 2009

Lots of Friday things

I'm a bit sad because my favorite karate instructor's last night teaching was yesterday. He taught all the adult beginner classes when I was beginning and about half the more advanced classes. He's a really good guy and makes the classes a lot more fun. The guy who's now the manager is a lot more serious and maybe I'll learn more and get in better shape, but maybe not, and he's a nice enough guy, but.... well, he's too serious. I know, it's martial arts, which is supposed to be serious, right? Anyway, I get along great with the extrovert joking around guy and am still working on feeling comfortable with the new one (who used to be manager of our location, but moved on and is now back).

DS1 didn't want to do Valentines for his classmates this year. Not sure if that means he doesn't like the kids in his class or that he's over the girl-chasing phase or that he just was feeling contrary.

DS2 was all excited about the free Valentines from our karate school, giving the receiver 2 free weeks of classes, so that's what he handed out.

Tonight is a wine-tasting party. We were supposed to get wine from Amador county, but I had trouble finding any, so I have one from Nevada county, which I am told is close. I was talking to someone else who had trouble finding Amador wine, too, so I don't feel so bad, especially as I was shopping with the baby, who was getting antsy about not moving and was trying to grab bottles.

The boys are going to a free (well.... we pay a lot every month, but not extra for this) "Kids' Night In" (actually called "Parents' Night Out") during which they will play games at the karate school from 6-9. They usually end up watching a movie by the end.

The baby is coming to the wine tasting. Never too young to educate one's palate right? We're not going to stay long, I guess, since we have to go pick up the boys at 9. DH doesn't particularly like wine, so I am designating him my driver.

The boys had the Jog-a-thon at school today. DS1's class ran around the inner courtyard and then the maintenance guy from the district showed up to drain the huge lake in the middle of the courtyard (the annual unplugging of the drain ceremony, because we had the same lake last year), so everyone else had to go down to the wet playground, which is where DS2 ran. They each 20-ish laps (though the laps weren't quite the same size!). So Mom, warm up your checkbook and I'll let you know the exact number later.

Anyway, I stood around in the cold (mid-40's and humid, off and on sunshine, occasional gusts of coooooold wind) for quite a while today with the baby on my back in the Ergo, all bundled in regular clothes plus her fleece jumpsuit. We were chilly, but the kids were warm enough running in circles. We did have a bit of time between the classes, so we didn't get too too cold. I tried to feed DD a bit when not counting laps and she had a quick drink, but there was too much going on. She fell asleep in the car on the way home and has been out in the garage for about 1 1/2 hours now, with an additional fleece jacket as a blanket.

I made minestrone yesterday, though with black eyed peas instead of cannelloni or whatever my recipe called for; I usually use red kidney beans. Today, I have the worst stomach ache. No more beans until it settles down.

No comments: