Monday, February 23, 2009

don't want to finish potato peel pie

I'm reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and am really, really enjoying it. I'm closing in on the end and I don't want it to be over.

It's the story of a London author and journalist who has been writing plucky humor pieces for a newspaper during WWII and now that it's over, she's looking for a new subject for a book. Among all the letters she writes and receives (it's an epistolary novel), is a letter from a man on Guernsey island who somehow got a book she used to own that still has her name and address (well, address of her bombed-out flat, but the letter gets forwarded to her). He is asking if she can help him find any more works by Charles Lamb.

She starts corresponding with him and with a bunch of other people on Guernsey, the members of the Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which started during the Nazi occupation of the island because there were a bunch of them out after curfew after eating an illegal pig and one woman came up with that as a cover story, so they really did start meeting to talk about books. Eventually, the author goes to Guernsey to learn more about the people and the occupation.

I think I had heard vaguely that the Channel Islands had been occupied by the Nazis, but hadn't really learned anything about it. I've heard a lot about the French occupation and this is quite similar and brought down to a personal, local level - and with English people, which brings it home a bit more, maybe?

AS I said, I don't want it to end. I have a library copy that I have to return soon, but this is a suggestion for a birthday present!

No comments: