Saturday, March 7, 2009

Baby and books

I was at the grocery with the baby this afternoon and got a couple of comments about what a good girl she is. Of course she is! She's a baby, so there's no malicious intent, even though just the aisle before I got the first comment, she had been shouting her head off at me and signing 'done' and 'down' and yanking on my shirt and generally pitching a fit.

Speaking of the baby, she is getting to be fabulously bipedal and can go across the room and down the hall. Her latest step (har) is that she can sometimes stand up without pulling up on something or leaning against the wall. She's quick.

She also now says "uh-mmm" when she tosses her food on the floor. And when I was chatting with her about putting out bird food, she signed 'bird' and 'food/eat'. Such a smarty pants.

If she would sleep through the night, I'd be one happy mother. She went to sleep nursing last night and then I gave her a quick snack at about 10 and got her to sleep after she was done. At 12-ish, though, she had a little nip and then screamed and cried off and on until 1:40, when I gave up and fed her again. Then she was up again at 4:30 and 6:30 and we slept in until about 8. It was a loud night.

I wrote a chapter and a half on my book that's almost done, but got stuck halfway through the second chapter and gave it up. I'm going to cut it out and try it from a different angle. My new book is shaping up in my head. I don't know if there's enough there to make a whole novel, so it might be short!

I'm reading The Coroner's Lunch bu Colin Cotterill and really enjoying it. It's a mystery set in the 70's in Laos, just after the Communists have taken over and the coroner of the title is a 70+ year old doctor who has only been a coroner for a year, though he was a doctor and a Communist since the 20's. Apparently, there are a couple more books (ETA: four books, to be precise) about the same guy that I'll have to find if I keep liking this one.

No comments: