Tuesday, October 21, 2008

field trips and non-academic academia

I went on DS2's class field trip yesterday to a pumpkin farm. At least they chose one that was fairly close to the school - I went with DS1's class last year for an hour drive each way with bad directions and OK, it had better other stuff like a train and a show and a big slide and shops, but eesh.

They went to a park after for lunch and then to play on the playground and then it came out that even though it was only a bit after 12 and school gets out at 3, they weren't going to do any classwork for the rest of the day. Huh? They can't even go back and read and do free choice jobs or anything? So because I needed to get going because DD hadn't fed or slept at all and was melting down and because I only had DS2 in my car (They forgot to assign me anyone and didn't really need me to drive, but DS2 said he wanted me to drive so I did), I just left and brought him home with me. He watched Animaniacs and I fed DD until she was about to pop.

We had all last week off school for a fall break/Columbus Day. Then DS2's field trip with no intention of doing anything vaguely academic afterwards, then one full day of school today, then the next three days they get out at noon for parent/teacher conferences. What is that all about? Why don't they just take the whole month off?

No comments: