Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Progress

I took the four kimonos that I had finished to the end of school and had some of the taller girls try them on. Well, and some of the shorter girls and some of the medium girls. Once they were there, it was about girls and clothes. Anyway, I counted 5 girls who could benefit from having me put in as small a hem as possible. We can adjust it shorter when we tie it, but we can't adjust it longer.

I have now finished all but three of the kimonos. They're sort of a weird lavender.

I have also done the satin stitching around a bunch of the quilt appliqués. I used the thread they gave me to sew the kimonos as the bobbin thread. No, I'm not being annoying and stealing the school thread; I tried to wind bobbins with as little as necessary of the odd shades of pink, but had a bunch left over and needed a bobbin for the off-purple ones, so have been merrily changing the top thread to what I want for the quilt. It seems to be going a lot faster this time around. Maybe because I haven't been choosing fabrics, tracing them, cutting them out, ironing them on, and otherwise staring at them for days on end. More importantly, I am just finishing up my own quilt instead of trying to do all the satin stitching for my 25 squares AND for the 25 for a friend. She got the quilt on Jan 1st, so it was late for Hanukkah and Xmas last year, but waaaaaaayyy early for this year, even with Hanukkah coming so early.

When I get a chance, I'll find the pictures of the ones for her last year and then post one when I finish mine. They're, um, eclectic.

Oh, and I got home to a phone message from the sewing machine repairman, who said there's nothing wrong with my machine. Which of course explains why I wasted an hour yesterday with it missing stitches and breaking the thread?

No comments: