Thursday, January 24, 2008

Sigh

So it was about 40 degrees out this morning, not raining right then, but everything was wet. I was standing in the house and realized I could hear the recycling truck coming (it sounds like the garbage one, of course, but it comes between 6 and 8 am while garbage comes later. I just heard it and it's almost 11). Luckily, I was dressed, though only had socks on my feet. I peeked out the window and the recycling bin was not out at the curb, only the garbage one. So I whipped my socks off and took off out the door and rolled the bin down.

Barefoot, pregnant and in the driveway. T-shirt and pants, no bra, feet rapidly icing over. Very glad the driveway's so short. I waved cheerily to the garbage woman and took off. Brrrrrr.

I guess DH thought it was a green waste week and didn't put the can out.

So I get the kids ready for school, drive them in, and head for the dentist. Teeth cleaned, no x-rays obviously, gums are sore but he said they look pretty good, actually, considering hormone levels and the fact that brushing and flossing make me gag.

I decide to stop for gas on the way home. I am in a pretty good mood, thinking that DH filled the tank the last time, maybe even the last two times. I put some cash in the machine, pull the lever inside the car and pop the little door open and discover --- no gas cap. Sigh. So I fill the tank and head for the auto parts place. Only $6 for the gas cap, but the guy at the parts store had to search around in the back for one because our car is so old.

I told Dh when I got home and he said, "Oops". People drive off without them all the time. I've made it to the edge of the station lot a few times myself. Never actually lost one before, though.

Unless you count the one from the car we borrowed from a friend of DH's when we lived in France. The door locks weren't working properly, so the friend and DH changed them. We found out a week or so later, while out driving in the countryside (lovely spring flowers, big brown and white Montbeliarde cows) with my mom that they had taken the keys to the gas cap, too. We were already hard-pressed to find a gas station and then the guy had to drill the cap off. A few days before our wedding and I was a ball of stress and didn't handle it well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love my new car and one of the reasons is that the gas cap cover door has a little holder for the gas cap. Take it off, tuck it in there. Voila. No more lost gas caps. So handy and so easy for a manufacturer to do -- but few do it.

Loving the image of you hauling the garbage cans to the curb in your current condition. Poor thing.

Sending lots of good thoughts your way. When is the due date?

Philippa Lodge said...

Ours has the gas cap holder thingy, it's just really awkwardly done and I knock the cap out almost every time. So I gave up on it and set the cap on the trunk. I don't even know if DH realizes there's a holder thing....

Due date Feb 25th - 1 month eeek!