Thursday, January 17, 2008

Latest baby news

Midwife visit yesterday. Baby is apparently head down and settling in the pelvis. Seems to have her back toward mine, so I need to convince her to turn back to front, but it's good to know that she's at least not lying sideways. Hooray!

We talked a bit about diabetes, mostly about this article which says that routine testing is pretty much unnecessary and doesn't help anything. (Note: The UK, where I had my first two babies, stopped doing a routine GTT sometime between the time I had the two of them. Oh, and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists even says that there is no reason to do routine screening. So why is everyone doing routine screening?) Then I peed on the stick and everything was normal and she did the little glucose monitor home test on me and my results were just fine and my belly measures within a centimeter of where it's supposed to be. So I'm not going to worry about it again.

I have a nasty cold, possible sinus infection. If I blow my nose often enough and really, really hard, I can keep from coughing up a lung more than once or twice an hour (and wetting myself - shhhh).

I have some round ligament and muscle pain in the places that are holding up my burgeoning belly. I'm sure a lot is just the rapid expansion of the belly, but those are also muscles that contract when I cough hard.

I tried to take a nap yesterday afternoon, but kept coughing myself awake. I lay down with a book for a while before dinner and fell asleep before 6. DH fed and entertained the kids and got them to bed. Hooray for DH! I woke up several times during the night, but slept until 7:30.

The kids went to bed in their own beds for the third night in a row. YAY! and this was the first of those 3 nights that DS2 has come into our bed, where he proceeded to snuggle up against me with his knobby knees until I had just enough space between him and DH to sort of breathe, but not to roll over. Oh, then his nighttime pull-up got so saturated that it leaked. Sigh.

But I forgot to set my alarm clock this morning, so we got up a but after 7:30 and had to work fast. And we had to have toast instead of cereal because there was about 1 fl oz of milk in a gallon jug in the fridge. I was going to make a quick trip to the store last night, you see. And apparently DH didn't recognize the emptiness of the milk jugs. They magically refill? And why 1 ounce?

I helped in DS2's Kindergarten class today. One of the girls told me she hoped I was having two girls because then I would have two boys and two girls. EEEEK! No, honey, just one in there. One baby at a time is enough work for me, thanks.

The class was more chaotic than usual because the main teacher was out and there was a sub. The assistant runs the class well, but with only one teacher really knowing what to do... I am snack micro-manager, but was helping as best I could around the edges, even being so forward as to check the kids' work and check the jobs off their sheet.

DS2's best school buddy (BSB?) came in in a howling, shouting bad mood this morning. He hates school, it's too easy, he doesn't like the jobs, he was doing something one day and some kids were messing around and messed it up and he had to start over which meant he didn't get to go to recess. Actually, most of what he said was stuff that I agree with completely and I have even chatted with his parents about and vented about on here. I mean, the kid can read, but they still have him writing out three letter words instead of reading books. He knows all the math jobs and they don't have harder ones for him, etc etc. So in spite of the teacher telling me to just leave him alone and he'll snap out of it, I sat and listened. I told her that he has legitimate concerns. He then went ahead and did his work with no problems.

Then I went to the grocery store and realized that I hadn't had enough to drink AND no caffeine, so bought a soda, which I usually avoid - artificial colors, sweeteners, fizz, caffeine. Went down smoooooth. I finished the bottle before I checked out, while I don't usually even open it until it's paid for.

Right. DH is going to get the kids from school and drag them around on some errands, so I am going to get my new library book out of the car and go take a nap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's no reason not to challenge him with additional materials. Kinders come into school with such varying skills that kinder teachers need to be ultra flexible. Still and all, it's an amazingly tough job.

Glad all is well with the bebe -- despite your horrid cold!

Philippa Lodge said...

It's a Montessori environment, so the whole idea is that all the kids work at their own pace. The teachers aren't very good at keeping the kids challenged and involved. It's the class in the *whole school* (K-8) that has the worst student/teacher ratio. And this for Kindergartners who need the *best* ratio. A very hard job for any K teacher to control a room of 27 kids, but a grossly large class size for Montessori where they don't sit at desks and all do the same lesson, etc.