Friday, January 18, 2008

Interesting OT stuff

Not Off Topic because I don't have a topic. Talking about Occupational Therapy this time.

The therapist who works with kids at my kids' school came up with some OT things that they started using in DS1's class today. A couple of the kids now have a special cushion with bumps to sit on when they work on the floor - I guess it might fit on a chair, too. A couple of them now have stress-ball squeeze toys. One has a plastic tube thing to chew on. These are meant to help the kid get their fidgets out without them wandering around the class, etc.

I think DS1 might need something - not because he fidgets, but because he zones out. He needs something to keep him focused.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yup. I have a student who uses the bumpy cushion. I am convinced it's saved him from a concussion. He used to rock in his chair so badly. Now, he can rock on the cushion and not bother anyone else. Mucho better!

We tried the squeeze balls with him but he threw them too much. Sigh.