Sunday, January 27, 2008

Dresser, sickness, malingerers, and books

Got a dresser! I went to another consignment store and they had several good chests for good prices. I was out running errands with a friend and though it wouldn't fit into her van with all the seats in there, she had her husband help her take the seats out and she took me back today. I can start doing baby laundry in earnest now!

DS1 is still sick. He's not as feverish today - his head and neck are still hot, but not burning up. That's my scientific way of not taking temperatures. He hasn't thrown up since this morning. He has had some juice, some water, and a whole piece of toast. He's also awake watching videos instead of sleeping fitfully like he did for most of the day yesterday. I'll probably keep him home from school tomorrow.

DS2 claims to be sick, too. Not much evidence for that, but maybe he feels a bit off like I do and/or wants the extra attention. I've had basically only toast in the last day or so. I don't feel like I am going to throw up, but my tummy's not happy with me at all.

Books. I've read a lot of books in the past few days. Notably one called The Spymaster's Lady. Can't remember the author off the top of my head. Joanna Bourne. Looked it up on Amazon, my all-purpose book search engine. Anyway, it's really good.

It's the story of a French spy in Napoleonic France who has been caught by a rival spy who is up to something bad. When she escapes, she frees the Englishmen who are being held captive too. Turns out, they're spies as well and one of them is a lead spymaster. They then go ahead and capture her and decide to take her to England because she is supposed to know where a copy of Napoleon's plans to invade England is. All the while, they are pursued by the French spy who's up to something, she's trying to escape, she and the master spy are falling in luuuuuuv, she's revealing and learning about her past (just who were her parents really?). And that's just the first half of the book.

It dragged in a few places - unfortunately toward the beginning where she's trying to escape over and over again and can't get away from them. The second half of the book picks up pace a bit - more things are answered though in a way, fewer things happen - when they get to England.

The characters were really well-drawn, though the bad guy was mostly a one-note puppy-kicking ne'er-do-well. Well, the main bad guy. These are spies, you're never sure who else could be a bad guy. The book also dwells in the shades of gray of having the right people on your side - the right people aren't necessarily nice by any stretch and besides they might think you are a traitor or trying to double-cross them.

I also read one called Divorced, Desperate, and Delicious, which is quite well written, though more a fluff piece - the author has a LOT of promise. Well, she's already a published author of non-fiction, but I think this is her first novel. I promised to write a review of it for Dee and Dee Dish, so they sent me a free copy. Score! I am almost done and need to get my thoughts together.

No comments: