Friday, April 10, 2009

heading home

Once I get home to California and have time to think about it, I am sure I will have a longer post about my hometown and what it's like to come back again.

It's a small town, but it's a university town, so it's the odd dichotomy of everyone who lives there permanently (ie not the students or transitory grad students and visiting faculty) knowing everyone's business and yet most of the young people flee the town, leaving behind their professor/professional parents to gossip about them. I know they gossip about each other and not so much about us, but what gets passed on to the kids is about other kids, generally.

So anyway, here I was reserving a hotel room for Saturday night and the person at the reservation center couldn't find the hotel on her computer. She looked up Cincinnati when I said Cinci airport hotel and then informed me that there is no airport hotel. Ummmm... not that I expect everyone at the call center to know that the Cinci airport is in Kentucky, but I assume she could search on "airport hotel" and come up with it? And I almost got in trouble for being too honest because there are 5 of us and at first she wanted to make us rent 2 rooms. Well, it would be nice to put all the kids in their own room and I had a brief fantasy of sleeping all night.... But no, the baby sleeps with us and won't be taking up extra space. The first shuttle is at 5 and our flight is at 6:50 and I can't get the map of the airport to pull up on Mom's dial-up, so I'm hoping we won't get in any trouble for getting to the check-in late...

Oh, and I need some Easter chocs for the boys, since we'll be en route that day. And we haven't colored eggs, so we'll have to do that on the post-Easter egg close-out. Boy, I hope the grocery store is open Easter Sunday at home, because we don't have much food there.

But tomorrow, we're going to the zoo.

No comments: