Saturday, April 25, 2009

googling alpacas

I've just spent my morning googling alpacas. I just like saying that.

But really, I was gaining some basic knowledge of alpaca breeding, cashmere goats, angora, and merino wool.

I really think my heroine would like some alpacas, but apparently, they are hard to ship and this is the 1880's and I think the alpacas would die on the way from South America. Back then, there was essentially only one guy who imported alpaca fleeces from Peru into England and spun it into clothing for royalty.

She's going to have to settle for cashmere goats or maybe angora/mohair. I would say merino sheep, but that's a bit rougher, which is an important consideration for her.

I hope goats get along with sheep. They do, don't they?

2 comments:

Liz said...

Hi, i followed your link from JennyCrusie and was intrigued. Katie Fforde did a book with llamas for fine soft fabric, but I don't know if they were being shipped around in the 1880's. Hope this might be helpful!

Philippa Lodge said...

Oh yeah, I remember that. The H was saving a small wool factory in Scotland, I think. Thanks :)