Monday, March 3, 2008

Stupid name for a pillow

But it is oh, so excellent. A friend (and mom of DS2's buddy at school) has given me a "My Brest Friend" nursing pillow. It has a back support and velcros around the waste. The baby table area is slightly contoured, but generally flat. Most of all, it fits on me. The Boppy pillow works fine, but is in the shade. I am told the boppy is excellent for tummy time and when the baby's learning to sit up, so it might have a longer future. For right now, with DD asleep on the baby table on my lap and not rolling toward or away from me so I can type with two hands, this one wins.

The midwives visited yesterday and HURT my baby! OK, so it was the heel-prick tests for phenylketoneuria and various other things and I am all for the testing, but still, trying to calm a crying baby as her leg is being milked for drops of blood is not much fun. The boys were cowering with their ears covered.

They also weighed her and she was up over 7 lbs again. 7 lbs 2 oz? Or 3? More than last time anyway. That is possibly slightly inaccurate, because the midwife had zeroed her scale - one of the ones where you hang the baby in a sling from the bottom and lift it up - and then DS1 was looking at it and pulling on it and completely ignoring me as usual when I don't mess with it. He gets so into things, totally focussed, and I have to get his attention and tell him that "don't mess with it" has become "put it down NOW."

Isabelle is apparently getting enough to drink now. She certainly leaks out of most diapers within a couple of hours. Change her, feed her, watch her sleep for a couple of hours and... dang time for a new outfit. I should have gotten more newborn-sized fitted diapers. But these newborn all-in-ones are so amazingly tiny and cute! I have a bunch of smalls, but those are big enough for her and 3 more tiny-bottomed babies. Now that her cord fell off (yes, already!), we can use them more, for protection all the way up to her armpits and down to her knees. Sort of the corset and pantaloons thing.

And her poop is getting yellow! Yay for breast milk baby poop! Now if she could organize her guts so that she only pooped a couple of times a day and made it really obvious so I don't have the surprise farticle in nearly every diaper and have to wonder how long that has been rubbing on her tiny hiney before I changed her....

Her skin's starting to peel off at crease points. It'll be sloughing off in sheets like a bad sunburn within a few days, if it's anything like with my other kids. That was a startling, scary thing with DS1. Maybe they mentioned it in the baby books, but I sure wasn't expecting it. Then the visiting midwife made it sound like something to worry about and why wasn't I dipping him in whatever greasy slime it was, etc. Between that and cradle cap, I decided pretty quickly that my babies would probably survive a bit of temporary cosmetic ick.

And the teeny-tiny baby clothes (here and here and here) that looked impossibly small when I made them? Of course they're too big. Well, they fit, but I have to roll up the sleeves and the legs for the tiger ones. She's wearing the psychedelic flower one right now. I don't have any clothes that go with it, so I put her in some pants that have a small pattern of oranges and flowers. Other than the colors which at least get close, the outfit doesn't rank too high. She'll be scarred for life, I know!

Well, she seems to be waking up a bit. Or maybe not. My behind aches from sitting for too long. It's the bones and ligaments still trying to figure out where to go to get back into place. Chiropractor visit for me tomorrow, though to be honest, he probably cares more about holding the baby. (Just kidding!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had (and loved) one of those My Brest Friend pillows. It was the BEST! The boppy was useless for nursing. I had another flat one that I kept in the car for nursing on the road.

Thanks for the great update. I sorry about your lower end adjustments. I guess with the c-sections, I missed out on some of those joys. I just had different ones, though.

Gage STILL gets "cradle cap" sometimes -- I don't worry about it alot. We keep his dry skin from turning to excema most of the time and that's good enough for me.

I'm really enjoying living vicariously through your Isabelle reports! :)