Saturday, March 1, 2008

Baby update - it's really not all about me?

Liza Lee is right; I haven't updated on the baby. So here I've cut and pasted and slightly edited a post I made on a bulletin board today:


Everything's going pretty well. My milk has come in but, strangely, isn't leaking all over the place. I have a big hard patch on my right breast that I keep trying to massage out. (and I need to say that these are the biggest boobs I have ever had - I was measured at a C a month or so ago and dang they're huge. If only my belly would shrink down smaller than they are....)

Isabelle is having meconium poops about 8 times a day. Yesterday evening, I changed a big one, she had another as soon as I got her clothes on, and then she let out a little one as soon as the diaper was changed again, luckily when DH was holding her. Sigh. She's also wetting quite thoroughly and even leaked out of her overnight dipe. Well, DH put on a swaddlebees AIO with only the built-in pad, no extra padding.

As of yesterday morning, when my milk had come in overnight, she was down to 6 lbs 15 oz from her start at 7 lbs 8 oz. She'll be weighed again tomorrow when the midwives come to do the heel-prick testing and to bring all the papers and stuff we'll need for the birth certificate. The way she's been eating, I think she'll be gaining weight like crazy.

I am amazed at how much she sleeps. I try to nap, but end up reading most of the time. I mean, sleep when the baby sleeps, but when she's asleep 22 hours a day, it's a bit much ;)

She has a couple of awake and alert times a day and is always amazed as her big brothers flash past or their faces suddenly loom 3 inches from hers. They're ready for her to be able to play with them.

My two big kids are a bit on edge. DS1 (8 years old) is grumpy and extra bossy and pushing the limits of rules. For example, he's not supposed to wake his brother up on the weekend and we've been over it a million times and yet this morning, he went straight in there. They started playing something, but within 15 minutes, they were arguing (DS1 being demanding and calling DS2 names) and he pulled all the sheets and blankets off of DS2's bed and kicked him and DS2 called him a stupidhead and they were both crying. He's been waking up earlier than usual, too, which doesn't help anyone's mood. DS2 (5 1/2 year old) has been cranky and weepy and whiny and it's "no fair".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Life with 3 kids. Amazing. Glad to hear Isabelle is getting such a great start to life. You go girl! Yea, sleeping 22 hours a day is a lot but you know it won't last! :)

It's going to be an adjustment for the boys -- particularly DS2 who is now the "middle child" -- oh my. Wish I had words of wisdom but I don't other than making sure they each get quality time by themselves with you and their dad so they know they are still important and loved. Hard to arrange, I know.