Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Awwww baby's first head cold!

She mostly can breathe through her nose, which is lucky, because like most babies, it hasn't occurred to her to breathe through her mouth, plus she needs to nose breathe to breastfeed.

And why can't I spell "occurred" without the auto spell check prompting me?

Anyway, it's been mostly clear today, but last night from 1:30 to 4 am, it ended up taking saline nose drops and a great deal more patience than I thought myself capable of (luckily she doesn't understand and can't yet repeat awful swear words, so I'm gonna say those don't count against my patience score) to get us both back to sleep.

So when do I get to be sure that this is just a head cold and not bronchitis or RSV or whatever? This is where you start scratching your head and wondering if I really have had kids before.

My nose keeps going from completely stuffed to running and my voice keeps fading and I've had a sinus headache for a few days. I had chills and a mild fever last night, but am also dealing with a rather painful, lumpy right breast, so it might be mastitis, which is no better than a common cold. I had DD nurse from that side a lot last night and today, so though it's still sore, it's not so lumpy and no fever so far.

And I'm thinking of having DS2 tested for asthma. His colds almost always end up as a persistent cough. This time, it's a loud, barking, non-productive cough and in the mornings, he coughs so hard and so long that he ends up throwing up a little. He's been doing this for a week now. Everyone else in the family just has the snots.

But right now, Isabelle is draped on her side across the feeding pillow, her head reared back, her belly still pressed up against mine, a look of intense concentration furrowing her brow, little twitchy facial expressions fleeting, asleep.

Oh dear, too much typing next to her head. She seems to be waking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor her, poor you.

On DS2, can you hear any wheezing in his chest if you press your ear up to his chest? Barking coughs don't seem like asthma (speaking as a lifelong asthmatic) but it's well worth gettign checked out regardless of the cause of his cough. Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

Ever tried some drops of your milk as nose drops - just in case you forgot about a very handy "medication"? Also useful: some globuli of Sambuccus, which works really fine during a kid's first year. One salve that works with babies as well as adults and is soothing and freeing while not nearly as harsh as other salves is angelica. Your midwives might know more details, I've got those information from Ingeborg Stadelmann's midwivery-book which is supposedly available in English, too.

Good luck with all the colds, this winter seems to be especially bad with those,
all the best from Doris from Munich