Monday, October 15, 2007

Wedding, foppies, and you say A-vee-oh

First off, apologies to various friends who, though I mentioned my brother's wedding several times, didn't realize I was going to be out of town this weekend and were worried about me and/or the baby. Apology also, to my supervisor/coworker at the store who called Sunday morning because I hadn't shown up for work. Apology to my coworkers who scrambled to get someone in to cover my hours. No apology to my manager who took my requests for time off and didn't put it on the office calendar and didn't refer to it when making this week's schedule.

The moment I was supposed to be clocking in? I was in my brother's house in Louisiana having scrambled eggs from his free-range chickens. Right before having to go outside and help put those same chickens (Breakfast, Dinner, and Buffet - Lunch died) back in their run because the kids thought they should let them out as usual, even though my brother wasn't there to catch them.

It was a really great weekend. I got to meet my brother's fiancee/wife and spend some time with her, hang out with my parents, sister (and her kids), and aunt. My nephews are 4 and 2 1/2 and were very excited to play with their "big" cousins. It took a couple of days, but the 4 yo and my 5 yo ended up being really good buddies by the end.

Oh, and the kids made a couple of new friends - hyper boys, meet hyper dogs. Bliss. My brother said over and over that he didn't understand where all that energy came from. It's kid energy. It comes from the fourth dimension or something. They had never seen their dogs that worn out before. The cats, though, only came out from under the daybed in the guest room when my 2 year old nephew thought he should get to know them by crawling up under there. And then they only came out long enough to run and hide behind the toilet. Poor things.

I swear we all still smell like dog. Maybe it's my shoes that I smell on me, because the rest of my clothes are clean and didn't even go along with us.

The wedding itself was fabulous. Oh yeah, that WAS why we went there, wasn't it? It was informal and just sappy enough, but short and sweet. And slightly late, because the officiant and half the guests were inside watching the LSU-Kentucky football game. Triple overtime and finally someone wised up and turned the stinkin' TV off. Probably for the best, since LSU went on to lose.

They had candles all over the place and the only problems came right at the beginning when they were first lighting them and discovering that the pretty, clear, plastic beads were highly flammable. Not many had beads where flames would touch them, but we put out a couple. Then they encouraged the kids to blow them out at the end of the evening and my 5 year old wasn't the only one to blow too hard and end up with wax spattered on his face - no burns, luckily!

The food was fabulous. Bayou-something caterers put on a great spread with some fabulous dishes. DS1 even tried a bunch of things and liked some of them. DS2 had fruit and rolls and cheese cubes and then petit-fours, but hey he had plenty to eat. I also made the mistake of letting him have a Sprite (and a Fanta the night before). He's never had his own can of soda before, so now he wants one all the time. DS1 doesn't like fizzy stuff (though didn't say no to a can of orange Fanta, either, the night before the wedding), so it's never been a question with him.

Photo-palooza coming soon. I must've taken 150 or 200 digital shots over the weekend. I got one of my brother's larger insane dog, who runs away when you pull out a camera - she apparently hears the high-pitched whine of the flash warming up or the digital camera being on.

Oh, and if you are offered a Chevy Aveo? (A-vee-oh? A-vay-oh? Let's call the whole thing off.) Don't. Seats are hard as rocks and I never did find a position that I was even vaguely comfortable to drive in - and the passenger seat was almost worse because there was no comfortable position even though you didn't have to hold the steering wheel. Back seat has no legroom. Back seat belts are so closely set that DS2 had a really hard time every time to fasten it around his booster seat. The thing had only about 6000 miles and shuddered at idle worse than my 103K Corolla. I don't know what gas mileage we got because I didn't pay much attention to starting and ending odometer readings. Um, let's see.... the trunk was pretty big, that was nice.

No comments: