Friday, October 19, 2007

Nature on a smaller scale

I was sewing in my front room, next to our big, front window, which is dirty and mostly covered with rose bush and uhhhhh what's that smelly plant? Anyway, a bush that makes me break out, but which has pretty yellow and pink flowers that attract hummingbirds. The curtains were pulled back, but covered the part next to my shoulder at the edge of the window. I kept hearing a scraping and bumping, so I got up to look out to see what was going on out there. Didn't see anything. Sewed some more and heard more bumping and realized it was coming from the window. It's not that windy, so the rose bush shouldn't be scraping that much.

I peered out right by me and jumped. Two nasty, old alligator lizards were creeping around on the screen, which is loose at the bottom. One was over a foot long. The other's body was about the same size, but it looks like it lost half its tail, which is growing back. Ugh. Shudder.

Update on the mountain lion from yesterday: my friend's husband really really doesn't want to believe that it was their cat, as the man who reported it hasn't told them what color it was.
We were also wondering if he called Fish and Game about it and officially reported it.

And the sewing? Stupid machine keeps missing stitches, but the samurai armor is coming along. I am faking it from liquid silver (a lame with a slippery knit backing) and sewing sorta pleats in it instead of separate sections sewed together. Clear as mud? The rough draft might be ready by this evening when we go to the kids' school's Harvest Festival. I need to attach the upper arm armor to the body and make something for shin guards and I think we're good.

DS2 now wants to be a superhero in black clothes with a cape and two T's, for Tremendous T__ (his name). He's wearing his too-small black sweatpants already, so that half is done. Phew! ;)

No comments: