Tuesday, October 23, 2007

field trip! and fires

Field trip today to a pumpkin patch. It HAD to be the one that's almost an hour's drive away, didn't it? It was pretty cool, with a train and hay ride and slides and a pig race/animatronic chicken show (gaaaaaaaa!) and corn maze. But by that point, who really cares about pumpkins? Oh, and lack of shade around some of the stuff. I have a mild sunburn on my face and upper chest. Yikes! They told me there was a lot of shade, so I didn't bother with a hat, especially since it's freakin' October!

The kids are all ready to carve the pumpkins, but I told them no. It's 80-some out there and even only a week before, I have a feeling they would rot by the time H-ween rolls around.

I am just wiped out, though. I was power-yawning the whole way home and about to toss the 3rd grade girl who can't stop talking out a window. Nice girl, but let's just have some silence for a few minutes, please? I guess it kept me awake.

And hey, it earned me 6 hours of parent volunteer hours and only cost me a bit over 2 gallons of gas, plus hefty fee so I could wear wristbands around saying I could go on the slides of Coyote Mountain (because a 5-month pregnancy wants to go down a huge, long, bumpy slide, of course) and ride a bouncy hay wagon to a field that was down to only small pumpkins, because it's late in the season. Whine whine whine, I know. I am at over 40 volunteer hours already and want to get to our required 70 before the baby's born. I hope baby appreciated all the bouncing.

Speaking of baby, we have an ultrasound this Thursday morning. Stay tuned to find out if it's blue or pink :)

One of the other moms said her sister was being evacuated from her home in Southern Calif - with four kids, including a one-month-old baby. Mmmm fun. I am sending good thoughts of the thousands of people who are running out of their homes, not sure what's going to be left when they get back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Phyllis,

what a coincindence - my next ultrasound is scheduled for tomorrow, that is thursday, around midday (12:30). I'm totally curious although I don't expect the pics to show what gender our tiny one is, the placenta is right in front and the ultrasound-thingy in my doc's isn't all too fine.

Do you know what gender you'd prefer? I'm not so sure - I love my little boy just fine and he's totally the cuddling-type, no girl can top him in this respect :-)

Doris in Munich, not your sister ;-)