Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I took my wedding ring off

No, not marital woes.

I was at my book group last night (* see below) and we were sitting in a warm, stuffy coffee house (with surly teenagers as backdrop) and I realized that my ring was way too tight and starting to irritate my skin. I slowly worked it off and wore it on my pinkie to come home and now need to find a necklace or something to put it on. I have a narrowed, shiny mark on my finger where it was. I think that was always there anyway, since other than the ends of my other two pregnancies, it has hardly ever left my finger in 9 1/2 years.

I had never noticed, really, how much I fiddle with it over the course of the day. It's usually the only jewelry I wear and now I have none. Weird.

* Irene Spencer is fabulous and chatty and just a super, warm, nice woman. Read her book, Shattered Dreams. Compare and contrast to Khaled Hosseini's Thousand Splendid Suns. Makes you stop saying "that can't happen here," doesn't it? She is working on another book that picks up where this one left off - she was leaving her husband and he died in a car accident at the end of this one. It is tentatively called Deliver Us From Ervil - her brother-in-law was the infamous Ervil LeBaron who went around assassinating other fundamentalist Mormons who didn't agree with him, then died in prison after sending death threats to the president. Because God told him to, y'know.

No comments: