Tuesday, December 9, 2008

About 3 inches narrower

The quilt for my brother and SIL is coming along. I am done quilting it. They are not allowed to look at the back, but there it is.

I trimmed about 1 1/2 inches off 2 of the sides because on one side, the batting didn't go all the way to the edge and on the other the backing didn't. Now there's a subtle visual clue (other than the directional prints mixed in) as to which are the sides and which are the top and bottom. See, it's like I planned it!

I could have sworn that I pinned it right in the first place, but then when it came to sewing, it went all wonky and I had to undo about half of the quilting a few weeks ago and re-do it. I took November off and hadn't done anything until today.

Just the binding left, assuming there aren't any horrible, nasty errors that I haven't noticed yet. I'm trying to decide if I will cut binding from the leftover backing (there's certainly enough except for on that one side) and fold and iron and sew it on or if I'm going to blow a bunch of money on packaged binding, which eliminates the folding and ironing steps but unfortunately not the sewing step.

It's the largest quilt I have made yet. I'm sticking to baby quilts from here on. Maybe doll quilts.

No comments: