Saturday, June 21, 2008

Lazy(-ish) Saturday

Lazy except that DS1 and I went to karate this morning. We had only been once this week. It was a good workout. I'm finally getting the hang of the stick defenses we're doing, though if anyone ever really attacked me with a number4, I might not survive. Well, with 3 or 5, either, unless they really telegraphed it. OK, so I've only really got 1 and 2, OK? Don't rub it in.

DS2 wants to drop out of karate for a while, which is too bad. Well, it's better that he take a break than we continue to struggle with getting him there and getting his uniform on him once he's there. Unfortunately, I bought the padded weapon, gloves, and shin guards last week and wrote his name on them in silver Sharpie, so I can't return them. I need some for myself, so it would be great if I could trade them, but anyway.

DD is asleep, which took a couple of tries, but now that she's down, she's out for the count.

I've been reading a couple of reference works on life in Victorian England. What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew is good, but I'm really loving Inside the Victorian Home by Judith Flanders for all its detail, even though what I am writing is an attempt at blurring the line between the peerage and the middle class and the book is all about the middle class. I have a book out on women's clothing, too, and am trying to picture what my characters would be wearing in about 1840 or so.

Right DD's awake so I need to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your reference books sound great. Going to look them up. Glad you had a lazy day -- hot enough for you?