Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Finland: the land of top-stitching



Today, Isabelle woke up early, then took a micro-nap a couple of hours later. A couple of hours after that, she was screaming and crying and wouldn't go to sleep, wouldn't nurse, wouldn't do anything but screech.

So I popped her in the car (if she's crying inconsolably in the car, you have to take her out. So I figured vice-versa why not?) and took the plastic to the recycling place and made $7.26 and then went next door and blew most of it on bird seed (I'm a party girl). Then Isa conked out in the car so when I got home, I just took the seat out and she proceeded to sleep for 4 hours.

So anyway, I had been looking at the Ottobre magazines a friend sent me (thank you again, Jen!) and decided on a romper from Summer 2007, I think it was.

I traced it onto pattern paper stuff, cut it out, chose the leftover turquoise from my brother's quilt, had to jig it around and do the bodice separately because I had 16 inch squares not a continuous cut, decided to do the bodice lining in fabric not interfacing, decided after it was all cut out to do half the front in one of the other fabrics from the quilt, decided to do the flower appliqué after all.... etc etc, always expecting to have her wake up. I even top-stitched around the seams in the bodice and I NEVER top-stitch. In dark blue and I usually go all wobbly, but it's pretty good.

I finished after about 2 hours, maybe 2 1/2. If I could just manage to follow a pattern without doing anything extra, it would have taken 1 1/2 hours, probably. Maybe an hour, now that I have the pattern.

I did the 74 cm size, which is pretty big on her, but the next size down was 68 cm and she's almost that already.

Oh, and then when I tried it on her, I noticed that I had missed the edge on the outside in the front center where the two sides of the bodice meet the rest of it. ARG! And it was subtle, but the little 1/2 inch edge was already starting to look like it was fraying and suddenly it loomed like a huge, black hole disaster about to strike, and I'm a perfectionist (or at least a cover-up-the-glaring-defect-ist). So I drew a smaller version of the flower appliqué directly onto the steam-a-seam (or wonder under? don't remember which I have) and did the smaller flower.

Oh, and the flower petals are indigo, but the buttons are black. And please please for the love of all that is holy do NOT look closely at the buttonholes.

I'm pretty darn pleased with myself!

Close-up of the big flower appliqué. I took a picture of the smaller one, but it was all fuzzy and not really worth posting.

No comments: