Monday, June 23, 2008

swimming

The boys had their first lesson of the year this morning.

DS1 wasn't ready this morning to swim away from the wall without someone right with him, holding him up, so the instructor "like, you know" wants to move him to the next class down. Which, unfortunately, is DS2's class. I was trying to help him preserve his "I'm 2 1/2 years older than you" studliness, even though they swim at about the same level. And he'll be a head taller than all of kids in the younger class, poor guy.

But then DS2 announced that he didn't like swimming because at one point he went under and couldn't get up and had to be rescued. I told him that it was specifically so he can rescue himself that I want him to have lessons. I will sit right near the pool tomorrow instead of under the shelter to effect a rescue in case the instructors and the life guards standing around don't see him and he really needs help. There are tent-canopy things by the pool, but the solid shelter is cooler for me and the baby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bummer on the swim lessons -- it will get better! Promise! Good idea to keep an eye on them though. When I was a kid, my sister fooled the instructors that she could swim so they kept moving her up and on in groups. Only she really didn't know what she was doing (Nor, in hindsight, did the instructors!). Luckily my mom was watching when she went under. No one watches like a mom!