Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year!

So. 2008? How'd that happen?

Happy New Year to all and to all a good night (drive carefully, if you drink, do so responsibly, wear your seatbelt, call if you're going to be late.... yeah, I'm a mom)

Resolutions? Hmmmm.... increased patience, generosity, and time spent with kids - with older kids, because once this baby pops out, I am well aware that it is 24/7 for a while with her, so have to choose a lot of activities with baby riding along in a carrier or even latched on and eating.

ETA: Oh yeah. Professional goals. I hope to finish my NaNoWriMo novel and go back and edit it so the early, exploratory scenes line up with the way the characters developed. And add some other scenes. Basically, make it a novel. It might never be good, might never be published, but I want to FINISH it.

Yes, seven months along and I'm starting to really feel it - pelvis and legs aching when I stand up for 5 hours at work, constant heartburn, and YIKES! we still need to choose a name and get a crib and a car seat (we have one convertible one that a friend gave us, but I would like to start with a little one to fit in the car better and fit the baby in better). And we need t-shirts and sleepers. Otherwise, we're pretty much set. I think we have enough cloth diapers and covers, even. A friend in the UK is going to send some girly ones. I will make a few anyway, because really fun and pretty dipes make me smile. Well, keep me from fainting during the worst of the poop, anyway.

Then in year-end best-of, Romantic Times released its nominations for Reader's Choice awards. Looky there! Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer, Wendy Roberts (which I reviewed, what, yesterday?) because it's not all romance novels, and some other books that I read and liked. And a follow-up in a series that I hadn't even realized was published yet - obviously, I wasn't waiting with bated breath, but I did intend to read it and it was on my amazon wishlist with about 100 other books. A few that I read and said "feh" about, too, but there are about 100 on the RT list in about 20 categories, so, well, horses for courses, as my British friends say.

But wait - not Lani Diane Rich's Fortune Quilt? That was one of the very very best books I read all year, romance or otherwise. Too bad I'm not an RT member or subscriber or whatever so didn't get to nominate....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you, too, Phyllis. I decided no resolutions, but only a goal of trying to to get the paintings for the children's book I'm writing off to a good start.

I hope that you will get to give your legs and feet a break soon as junior miss isn't about to give you one when she comes.