Friday, December 14, 2007

Christmas is (almost) here!

Today was the kids' last day of school. Yeah. Way early. We have three weeks ahead of us and no real plans. Uh oh. Museums. Play with friends. I'd like to take them sledding, if it has started snowing in the mountains but I don't think my midwife would approve and DH doesn't particularly like snow....

Yesterday afternoon, I spent a couple of hours sorting through fabric, patterns, and various sewing junk, so the front room looks a little less like the fabric store puked on it.

DS1's PJs are all done. He wore them to bed last night and got the pants dirty this morning, so had to wear last year's PJs to his class PJ/movie/gingerbread house party anyway. And good thing I had been rifling through his PJ shelf and found that last year's PJ pants had a huge hole in the bum and fixed it before this morning. But then again, if we had done any laundry at all this week, he could have worn his red sweatpants with the new PJ shirt. Then DS2 announced that jeans are too squeezy and all his sweats were in the wash, too, so he ended up in velour PJ pants which almost look like sweats, even though his class was having a regular day, not a PJ party.

DS2 picked out some improbable pieces of quilting fabric for a new stocking. I think I'll pick a background fabric and decorate it with his choices or sew them together and use the other fabric as lining. DS1 was grumbly and announced he didn't want a new stocking. Must find out if that's really true.

When sorting fabric, I put aside a stack of things that would look good in my brother's wedding quilt and some others that would make cute girly baby clothes. The stack of whatsis terry cloth (the really thick, soft stuff that's looped only on one side? Burly?) is still on the floor under the little table that has my barely-used iron on it, so just need to cut out diapers and get sewing. I have some Aplix (it's like velcro) and metal snaps are around here somewhere. Oh wait. I might need elastic. I have some old diapers to repair, too, mostly elastic problems and mostly in larger sizes.

Right new list:

1) Presents presents presents. Really must get going on them.
2) Sew DS2's stocking.
3) Maybe do the baby sleeping bag/bunting now
4) Clean house. Vacuum house. Whine about carpet beater thingy that doesn't work and hasn't for about a year, but will cost as much as I spent on the thing new to replace. Sigh.

Read and edit blog posts carefully. Up at the beginning I said "... if it has started sewing in the mountains..." One track mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm on Dad's computer with a sick keyboard. (Gift idea!) Frustrating. For you: Christmas comes when Christmas comes. Right? All babies do.
Considering the aggro of this keyboard, I may read your blog here but will surely answer elsewhere. It works better if I type r*e*a*l s*l*o*w. Aargh!
love you