Tuesday, September 25, 2007

MMMMMMMinestrone

Probably the least authentic minestrone you'll ever see. I didn't even follow the vegetarian cookbook recipe I had (artichokes? in soup? honestly!), except to remind me of the herbs to put in. There are potatoes and beans (canned) and onions (garden) and garlic and basil and oregano (garden) and a can of tomatoes plus a freezer-burned huge tomato (last year's garden (or 2 years ago?)) and celery and carrots.

But it looks good and smells good and right before I serve it (or right before I refrigerate it), I'll put in peas and little ring-shaped pasta.

I haven't been cooking much lately, what with exhaustion and nausea and karate classes, so started this at lunchtime for dinner tonight. DH is home with a cold (not....making....comments....) and has a conference call this evening and we'll be back from karate at 7:30-ish, so anyone can eat whenever they want. Not that DS2 will deign to even attempt to taste it, but DS1 might be persuaded.

UPDATE: I had a small bowl and ohmygoodnessgracious! Good stuff! And a big pot full - I didn't realize it was going to be quite so much when I opened that other can of beans and cut up a couple more potatoes. I had to add some more water with the pasta and poof!

Oh man, that's good stuff. If I do say so myself.

Oh, and to be fair to DS2: he doesn't like tomatoes and barely even tolerates tomato sauce on his pizza. He's a picky eater otherwise though!

No comments: