Friday, July 6, 2007

Sewing machine and other freaking out

Well, my machine's a piece of cr**. I got it about a year ago. It joyfully breaks needles when I go too fast - always has, even though one of the features of the machine is supposed to be its speed - so the timing goes out and it doesn't work. The guy who fixed it tends to be really irritating and instead of helpful is really snide about people mistreating their machines. So anyway, I was $40 poorer and pissed off about a month after I first bought it. No desire to pay to be treated like an idiot. So after that, I figure out how to adjust the timing myself. Except now the thing that holds the belt is slipping and I can't get it tight enough, so the timing goes off with just trying to sew and I can't sew at all.

I was swearing at it and griping a whole lot this evening. Then I tripped over the stupid, stinking couch cushions that I had asked, and told, and demanded that my kids pick up several times over the course of the day. Then I just lost it and screamed and yelled for them to pick those up along with any other toys that they had left lying around on the floor that I have told them over and over again to pick up and supervised them picking up and then came back to find a different selection spread across the floor.

Then DH was remaking DS2's bed - he leaked last night and didn't tell us, so DH discovered the wet sheets this evening. I'm supposed to be grateful that he noticed it - in fact, he came to tell me about it instead of just changing it. Oh yes, I am struggling with my machine, I am highly desirous of changing sheets. And for some reason, DH needs personal supervision to find the right sheets. OK, they're not on neatly labeled shelves, but anything you've never seen on our Cal King is going to be single-bed size. Not a complex concept.

So now I am still trying to get my adrenaline down a couple of hours later. We keep getting more storage and it fills up in about 2 minutes and there's still junk and cr** all over the house. I get the top of the book/TV shelf cleared off except for decorative items and the next day there's something else jammed up there. I'd like to take it all outside to start a huge bonfire, if only the woods across the street weren't so dried out.

I think I'll start with the leaning tower of empty cardboard boxes in the corner of this room. One of them is big enough to hold all of the stuffed animals that can't seem to find a place to live. The one from the DVD player (bought about 2 years ago) could be modified to hold sewing patterns upright. The rest can be stomped on and recycled - I mean, do we really need to keep the box that the paper shredder came in? Really? I can also take out about 10 empty cardboard boxes from the closet and the garage. Or else DH can put all the small boxes from various computer components into a bigger box, so at least there might be a bit of room. Then maybe we can get rid of random paper that is piled on every surface. I attacked a couple of stacks today and only half of the stuff was mine, though DH said it was all mine.

Maybe I'll hold off on killing the boxes until we see if all the cr** from the rest of the house needs a box.

No comments: