Sunday, July 1, 2007

Not much to report

Well, I've been reading a lot and have just got a box from Amazon with my copy of the Annotated Pride and Prejudice. Just from first skimming, I'm not sure that I need to have all of the definitions and jokes spelled out for me, but there is also information on the books, events, etc that Austen refers to that her contemporaries would understand but that we wouldn't get all the nuances of if at all. I mean, when Mr. Collins reads from Fordyce's Sermons, I though he was just being his obnoxious and pious snotty self. Turns out they're Sermons for Young Ladies and speak out strongly against novels - which is what Lydia wanted Mr. Collins to read to them. Plus, he's reading them with the father present and trying to take over the role of educator and moral compass that Mr. Bennett should have, but doesn't, at least for the younger sisters. It might also be a reference to another novel where the heroine has some over-pious person coming to visit and so she hides her novels and lays Fordyce's Sermons out on the table, open as if she were just studying it. Novels, after all, were considered eeeeeeeevil at the time, and a corrupting influence. Sort of like romance novels these days.

"How much I shall have to tell!" (says Maria, Charlotte Lucas' little sister)
Elizabeth privately added, "And how much I shall have to conceal."

I have a couple of other books to read before they are due this week, plus I am about to start Harry Potter book 3 (Azkaban). Twenty days to go until July 21st and I'm not even to the long books yet.

It seems like the few times I have tried to sew, the kids have followed me in there and wreaked havoc and drove me nuts. Not that I have even tried to do much sewing lately. I need to sew some stars on karate uniforms and to make some shorts for ds2, since most of his are small and stained and falling apart.

Work is... work. I've been on the schedule only once a week the last two weeks. I asked for last Saturday off, so I guess the manager decided I wanted every single Saturday off. 4 hours x minimum wage = not much.

No comments: