Sunday, July 5, 2009

Dipping my toe into the lake of e-books

I won a contest - along with 29 other people - on smartbitchestrashybooks.com to test a Sony e-book reader for a couple of months. I have to print out and sign the contract and send it back and then the reader will be winging its way to me. So I am excited and yet filled with trepidation.

I'll have a $25 gift certificate from Harlequin to buy books for it and as I sort through the Harlequin site, more specifically the HQN section because I'm more partial to books that are 400 pages long, not the 200 page category romances, I realize that I have already bought 2 of the recent books and as I skim through the back catalog, I don't see anything much that I want.

I will be gettin Christine Merrill's Wicked Liaison, though. It's a short category romance, but an historical one and I've liked what I've read of her before. I did download a couple of free books to my PC. I don't read much at my computer, but hey, they were free and by authors and in genres that I haven't read before, so someday when I'm bored...

So anyway, I'll be dipping my toe into the e-reader waters and I will see if I like reading on a tiny screen any more than on a big screen. And then unless I buy a Sony reader when my test is up, I guess I just lose the e-books I buy, which brings up my main complaints with e-books - no sharing, no resale value, no keeper shelf.

Entering the 21st century. Next thing you know, I'll be Tweeting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not so fast. With the Kindle, I can download copies onto my hard drive so I've got them forever. There is Mac software (Stanza) that lets me convert various formats of eBooks into other formats include plain old PDF. Look into it, their may be a similar product for the PC. I also like with Amazon that if my Kindle got ruined in some way, I can redownload the books I've already bought from Amazon in the future. It's pretty cool.

Also, there are a TON of free public domain books. I'm currently reading the complete Sherlock Holmes which I got for free! Pretty sweet.

Harlequin does make free books available pretty regularly. I'm able to convert them to the Kindle format even if they don't make them available on Amazon (which they usually do!).

Philippa Lodge said...

True, I can probably convert to PDF if I don't get a reader. But I'm not a fan of curling up with a good book on my laptop. Plus, even a cheap MM paperback will likely outlive my hard drive and then when the e-reader goes obsolete.... I dunno. I just don't see an e-reader taking the place of books for me.

This is why I won a spot to have the e-reader, because I was totally honest about my reservations and dubious and yet wanted to give it a try.

Margaret said...

Peeking at your life since it was easy to link from email. When does your new toy come? Oh yeah, berry picking is now on Monday the 27th there are no ripe berries!
M