Monday, June 8, 2009

swimming and books (which probably shouldn't mix)

The boys had their first swim lesson of the summer this evening. We're doing evening ones this cycle because they're not out of school yet because our charter school is on its own weird schedule that doesn't match the rest of the district (which got out on Friday).

Anyway, the boys were already seriously wound tight when they got home from school (DS1's teacher - 2nd and 3rd grade mixed class mind you, not K/1 - said that there were quite a few people who lapsed into tears for one thing and another today, including DS1). They were fighting over who could put more toy trains into his shirt and DS1 was still putting in trains before DS2 even got a chance to start and it wasn't faiiiiir. And it went downhill from there. We split them up several times, but no go. They were just weird. I couldn't get DS2 to leave me alone for more than 2 minutes at a time and eventually, I just needed to be alone for a while and had to physically remove him from my room three times.

So we finally got off to lessons and they were a lot more relaxed in the water than I have ever seen them, so maybe they will learn to swim this year. Fingers crossed.

I didn't sign the baby up for the parent-and-me class this cycle. She gets so cranky in the evenings that I figured it would probably be a disaster. Besides, she won't even take a bath without lots of crying. I am hoping to spend some time getting her used to the concept of bathtub and wandering around the pool with her during the boys' lessons to see how very much fun everyone is having. Then we're going to give it a go in two weeks. Wish me luck...

Now on to the books....

I started reading Not Quite a Husband by Sherry Thomas this afternoon and took it along to the pool this evening because I left DD at home. I just finished it a few minutes ago and am wandering around sighing. I love Sherry Thomas. Her books tend to be so heartwrenching and yet they work out. This last one works. Any doubters as to the literary quality of romance novels should read it. (I have a whole list of books that I will point you toward once you come over to the light side).

But, as always, a really excellent book ends up making me doubt my own skill as a writer. I have two days to finish this next novel before school gets out and am suddenly despondent. oh, and I reread a Julia Quinn novel a couple of days ago and just discovered that the plot device I thought up all on my own is actually cribbed from this book that I read a year or two ago. I'll change it a bit in the rewrites, because I really need to forge ahead and write the final scene. I came across a few spots today where I had written in a phrase about something that needed to happen and never gotten around to writing out the scene. I wrote one of those today and started working on another, but didn't have much time between interruptions. Maybe I'll do a bit this evening, once I get over my sighing over Sherry Thomas. Though technically, it's bedtime and I'm tired.

Oh, and one friend who is reading the rough draft of my other book said that she really enjoys it and we're setting up a playdate for our sons so we can go over her comments. And I realized that my other friend didn't even know that I had finished a rough draft. I was sure I had told her, but I don't know if we've spent much time together this semester. So I might try and get her to read the rough draft, too. I feel pretty bad about not even talking to her about it. Maybe she wasn't at the book club where I mentioned it, either? Anyway.

I just was thinking that I haven't posted any pictures in a long time and noticed that I am not even sure where my camera is. I think it's on top of the fridge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This time of year is REALLY hard on kids. Endings, beginnings, change . . . all rough. Hope the kids love swimming! Hang in there. Impressed on the writing. Almost time for me to shift my focus again and make writing my priority!