Sunday, June 7, 2009

picnic

We went to a neighborhood picnic today. It's actually the neighborhood down the hill and it used to be a babysitting coop, but it's not really anymore, it's more of a way for people in the neighborhood to meet. I used to take ds2 to a playgroup which later fell apart when the kids, who were all about the same age, went off to preschool and then kindergarten. i'm going to need a playgroup for dd soon...

Anyway, the picnic was at noon it was only a bit above 80 by the time we left. the front yard where we had it has tons of trees, so it was all in the shade and very comfortable. the boys played with a pack of feral boys (and yes, they counted as the feral ones. I keep saying that it takes 4 boys to go from kids to wild, rabid dogs). It was mostly OK, but they got too rough at times.

there was one kid who was about 5 who was really punching and kicking and hurting people. DS1 got his arm hurt because he was trying to shake the kid off without hurting him; I thought he did a really good job. that boy's parents, though, i wasn't so impressed with, because it was him and his little brother out there with inappropriate violence over and over and over. OK, so they were 3 and 5 and the rest of the kids (mostly boys, really) were 6 to 9 and can generally defend themselves. The kicking of the partially deaf boy with other physical problems was pretty vile, though. Luckily that boy's dad swooped in and then supervised closely.

I left the boys and DH down there to play a bit longer and came home with the baby, who hadn't napped at all this morning. She was fine while we were there, though she kept finding loose rocks and chewing on them and then people would comment on how she had chocolate cake on her face when it was really dirt. She started screaming when I was leaving, though. She did not want to be taken away from the dirt.

I ate fairly sensibly until it came to dessert. Yeah, well I'll go work out a few dozen times this week, OK?

It's actually time for me to sign up for real at Curves and I am hesitating. It's not the most exciting of workouts and is already getting a bit monotonous. I would have to sign up for a whole year, too, not just month by month. I'm pretty sure I'll do it, because i need to have something to do and somewhere to do it. I've only gone twice a week over the last 2 weeks instead of the 3 times you're supposed to go. each week i have a different excuse. :/ But even so, I lost nearly 4 lbs and a nice % of body fat in the first month. i lost an inch around my waist and my stomach feels much firmer. All in all, a good result.

What else can I ramble about? Oh yeah. Almost done with the book. I will finish up a scene as soon as I finish here, then there are only a couple of big ones and then I will put it aside for a few weeks before starting to fine-tune it. I need to do some serious editing on the first book I finished. The people I gave it to to read are still reading. I forget not everyone reads nearly a book a day...

No comments: