Thursday, May 7, 2009

A bit of cringing

I was on facebook last night and my brother IMed me and we had a little chat and he said he wanted to read my book. I emailed it to him and now I am afraid that he's going to hate it. His BA is in Philosophy and English and he's done post-grad work in Philosophy and French (my brother the ABD). He was already talking about "bodice rippers" and being sneering and rude about romance novels in general.

See, he knows all about them, because he works in a bookstore. I suggested he read the Smart Bitches book (Beyond Heaving Bosoms). If he keeps it up, I will be sending him a list of the romance novels that he should be reading and none of them have vampires or Scotsmen in kilts or bodice ripping. I don't think I will convert him, but maybe if he'd stop sneering long enough, he might realize that like every single type of book out there (yes, even your LLLLLiterature), there are good ones and bad ones. But Candy and Sarah make those points so much better than I do.

I've already emailed it to three other people, including my mom. Today, I saw a mom friend at the kids' school and she asked how my novel was and I offered to let her read it, too. So I am going to print out this latest version and let her mark it up before I re-read it. I need to be sure that the version I am sending out to everyone is the same one on my thumb drive and I'll go to the copy shop.

Right. Stuff to do today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope everyone likes it. I wish I could offer to read it too but I can't do anything like that until summer. It's coming soon though! :)