Sunday, August 24, 2008

Another win from Sarah Addison Allen

I mentioned her first book, Garden Spells before.

I think I liked The Sugar Queen even more. I certainly felt the romance aspect of it a bit more and was happy for everyone, maybe even for the mother, who was a b**** in so many ways and who maybe was going to be human by the end. I would have liked more about Adam the mailman. Josey was so trapped and figured out how to get out and became the person she should have been all along. I still wish she had read the letter to find out if there were more of them, though. I loved Chloe's books.

Is all that cryptic enough?

Basically, Josey is the privileged daughter of the man who transformed a sleepy little town into a ski resort. The man married an impoverished socialite and then proceeded to cheat on her, then they finally had Josey rather late in life. Josey was a royal pain in the a** as a child and has been dominated and subjugated by her mother ever since her father died when she was 9. So when the novel opens, she is in her late 20's and in love with the mailman - has been for 3 years, though all she knows about him is that he delivers the mail and barely notices her.

Then Della Lee Baker climbs a ladder into her room and goes into hiding in her closet, which is also where Josey hides her stash of snack cakes, travel magazines, and romance novels. So then one step leads to another and then to another and everything changes.

I wish Ms. Allen would write faster...

No comments: