Sunday, August 3, 2008

great excitement yesterday

So anyway, with DD's new found life skill which isn't good for her health, I asked Dh to put her crib together yesterday. First, I had to shuffle furniture around in our room and vacuum and such and then the boys helped hiom. DS2 did most of the screws and screamed when DS1 had a turn and did ONE screw. Then it turned really ugly when ds1 was going to put the mattress in by himself and they almost had a boxing match over it and finally I pulled ds2 back and after a struggle, I pretty much lost it with him. He is such a defiant little monster lately. Sorry, I know I shouldn't say monster, but I was thinking a much worse word. It's the defiance and black-is-white knee-jerk reactions that are on my last nerve. I know he's the former baby who now has a baby sister. I know he's always trying to catch up with ds1 who is 2 1/2 years older (BTDT!), I know he's 6 and in that 6 year old kid trying to be the boss phase. But does he have to do it over the summer where I have to be around him 24/7? He's still that sweet little boy who wants to sit on my lap and then he's the snarling beast or the screaming, crying waterworks. Emotions run high.

So anyway....

DD has her crib set up now. As they were putting it together, I realized I still hadn't found any crib sheets. So once it was all set up, dd had taken a very brief nap (still in my bed) and DH could take over the supervision of the baby, I made a fitted sheet. It was remarkably easy because the 44/45 inch width of quitling fabric is just exactly right for a crib sheet. I cut it to the right length, sewed right-angle seams at 8" in and cut off the corners, then hemmed and sewed on elastic at the same time. It's very bright fabric. She'll never be able to sleep without sunglasses. I need to get to work on another sheet for when that one needs to be washed.

So now the tricky part is to convince the baby to sleep in there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the crib and making crib sheets. You amaze me with our sewing skills. As for DS2 . . . a lot of it must be a 2nd child thing for my DS shows many of the same behaviors around here (high emotions, mood swings, bossiness, etc.). Drives me nutso. And, this week, his sister is gone (with my folks) and he's WAY easier to be around. Huh. Funny that.