Monday, April 7, 2008

back to school

FINALLY! 3 weeks of spring break is ridiculous!

I even got up and took them in this morning, which is a first since the baby was born. DD cried off and on during the ride there, then I went to a grocery store and got a cup of coffee and a donut and sat down and read the newspaper while she slept in a sling. I had thought she was still hungry even though she had nursed for a bit before we left, but she slept there for an hour or so. I was thinking of getting a pedicure at the little shop with massaging chairs, but it was still closed by the time I finished my coffee, so I didn't do it. There's not much polish left on my toes after about 2 months.

So it was quiet around here, not that I really got much done. But the peace was niiiiiice. Summer vacation's in 2 months. I'm thinking lots and lots of day camps.

I did clean the toilet in the kids'/guest bathroom. We need to move all the tub toys, which are currently piled around the sink, then I'll clean the sink.

Oh. I guess I could clean the tub before I put the tub toys back in. I hate cleaning the tub.

Anyway. Quiet day, then DH picked the boys up and took them to karate. DS1 is about to test for a new belt. Purple, I think? Whatever's just above green. They've been learning Iron Horse, a series of blocks and steps (trying to find a link with pictures, but Google comes up with the name over and over, but the only video or pics I found is of one of the more complicated Iron Horse forms, not what they're doing), and a 6-count Doce Pares series with a stick.

DS1 is good with forms (kata, to be all nerdish about it). Something about sequencing that slips right into his brain. I haven't learned Iron Horse (the intermediates were doing it just before I promoted to intermediate last year, then I quit to grow the baby), but something about its use of right, left, left, right and sometimes stepping backwards, sometimes forward that just won't twig in my brain until I practice it, I guess.

Or maybe it'll be like when I was working with the roku shoku (6 foot staff) and never really did get the long form down, though I managed it well enough to pass -- just barely, if I had someone else doing it with me. It's a black belt level form and I am years away from black belt, so I wasn't too worried, it was just frustrating to not be able to get it into my head.

And now the kids have been eating lots of snacks. They are supposed to get approval for snacks and I even told DS2 as he asked for an orange a few minutes after 5 (after having cheez-its and a cheese stick) that it was almost supper time and he couldn't have anything more (we usually eat at about 6:30 or 7), then 10 minutes later, he was back in here asking for more snacks, smelling suspiciously of strawberries - which they had conveniently forgotten to ask if they could have and then eaten ALL of. Grrrrrrr.

No idea what's for supper, but I guess that I should think about it for Dh and me. I doubt the kids will be very hungry.

And I guess we won't have strawberries for dessert.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

darn those kids and their needs to be fed. Mine want to be fed pretty regularly too -- you'd think that a couple times a week would be enough but it's just not. Drat them. :) Still, eating all the strawberries . . . that's a hanging offense!

Philippa Lodge said...

LOL! it's not the feeding them, it's that generally, i try to end snack time before dinner actually starts ;) except for the strawberries, it wasn't too big a deal tonight, since we were having that fancy French dish, restes rechauffees (reheated leftovers).