Friday, August 31, 2007

First day as volunteer

Since I (well, WE) have 70 hours of volunteer time to put in at the kids' school this year, I have jumped in as soon as I could to get what I can done before February.

Today, I made a bunch of photocopies and organized next week's homework folders for DS1's class (2 grade levels, about 10 different math homework sheets, and a cover page). Oh, and right after I got there, I went out on a fire drill with them, but they didn't actually need me for that except for the part where they couldn't find the red binder with emergency cards. And then I read out the weekly spelling test to 3 of the groups. They didn't need me to check them, but in quickly looking over the sheets, I'd say most kids got about 80 or 90%. Smart kids :)

After that, I went to my fabric store and bought up a bunch of clearance yarn and fairly inexpensive plastic placemats - the yarn for the lunchtime indoor program (they have someone willing to teach crochet, along with people donating board games) and the placemats to liven up the cafeteria a bit. Money spent on stuff for the school can count toward hours, so it's not straight altruism.

I need to get my driving record from the DMV and I'll be all set to go on field trips.

No comments: