Tuesday, June 12, 2007

gritting....my...teeth

Today, we got an anonymous postcard from "a neighbor" asking us to mow our lawn. It has been just about 2 weeks and some of the crab grass has sent up tall shoots, otherwise, it is a uniform height of about 3 1/2 to 4 inches, mostly clover. Gorgeous dark green with flowers.

Now, I know it needs to be mowed a bit more often. It's not even that big, being a California lawn. DH did it last time, but barely notices it until I ask him to do it.

How many guesses that it's the same older man who stopped by a few weeks ago and asked for the landlord's phone number when I was out front playing with my son? And it had been about 2 weeks that time, too.

And the fact that the postcard said we need to teach our children about responsibility and self respect by mowing the lawn.

Thanks. Got plenty o' self respect, jerk wad. No respect for idiots, though. Mind your own darn business. Go live in one of those gated communities for retirees where you get fined if you don't live up to a bizarre, twisted set of artificial rules for turf maintenance. It ain't a putting green, it's a place for kids to play. I guess that's another thing - no kids playing out front. Wouldn't want to actually SEE our neighbors, would we?

Dang, I'm mad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should put a sign out front that says

IF WE STOP WATERING OUR LAWN, WE WON'T HAVE TO MOW IT.

Neefer
http://www.oaktrees.org/blog/

Philippa Lodge said...

Well, exactly. I want to know if he sent postcards to the neighbors 2 doors up who have a brown lawn. Or the guy around the corner whose fenced-in yard looks like Death Valley. (Though maybe he already did, since the fenced-in yard no longer has about 10 lawn mowers in the driveway.) Or the house on the corner with big bare spots. Or the one a block over with paint peeling off the garage.

Is it just the length of the grass that bothers him? Or the fact that we're happy with clover?

Or is he harassing me because I stood up to him a couple of months ago?

I'm thinking of tacking a note with the address of Sun City on it and/or writing on the back of the postcard, "Get a life."