Friday, June 22, 2007

Can't move my arms

First I'd like to say that DS1 (the 7 year-old) got his gold belt yesterday. Woohoo way to go baybeeee! He's loud and proud. We're all gold belts until next month when DS2 (almost 5) and I move to orange. Well, I move to orange and he gets a junior orange belt (white with an orange stripe). Assuming we keep our attitude and hard work up, of course.

Today we all went to the Friday karate classes, which for me is a combination of a makeup day and what they call Black Belt Club, which is for everyone with gold belt with a black tip (halfway through gold towards orange - which is where I am right now) and up to do some of the black belt curriculum.

Since it's the last day of the cycle and everyone has tip tested and belt tested and all, the teacher decided to start on the new curriculum.

The bo staff.

It's a six-foot staff, an inch+ in diameter and it weighs a ton. Well, at the beginning of the class, it wasn't so bad. You're supposed to keep two hands on it at all times and treat it with respect and try not to break your own ribs. After a while of waving it over your head, you get a bit sweaty and you really start feeling it. We're going to be buff by the end of the next two months.

So now I decide if I want to get my own (surprisingly inexpensive when bought through the dojo) and go for it, or just stick to my own classes. I think I'm going to go for it. If I can't use my arms when I get up in the morning, I might rethink that.

But this is real karate geek territory. Like ninjas or samurais or Dungeons and Dragons. Can you imagine me with a fighting staff in my closet? Duuuuuuude.

ETA: We're going to have to learn to count to ten in Japanese and we have to learn the parts of the stick, too. Chu-shin is the center. The ends are Key-something? And the striking parts (edges near the ends) are micha- or mugu- or something-something. Yeah, it was the first day. I can find Japanese numbers on the Net, but not those.

No comments: