Saturday, March 17, 2007

Quitting my job...

...in the next few weeks. I might just decide to work a few hours at the cutting table or something so I can keep my discount and keep my hand in, but we'll have to see what sort of other work I find. I am looking forward to finding something where I can work during the day and then have normal evenings and weekends and holidays.

I've been thinking about it for a while, and then I called today to find out if the schedule was up for *tomorrow* and discovered that in the chaos, they didn't do the schedule until late yesterday.

Chaos, you ask?

Why yes: chaos. They are shutting 100 of the 400-ish Hancock Fabrics stores across the country so the company can pay its bills and with any luck won't go under completely. As of tomorrow, 7 of the 15 stores in our district are under the authority of liquidators. We've been redistricted. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean a new district manger for us, she has lost 7 stores and gained 3 or 4 others from another district, which has been split. Apparently, they had a conference call and sent an email at that time which had 2 lists of district managers - those that still have jobs and those that don't.

I wanted to leave anyway, but now's a good time, because there will be three supervisors from the store near us who will be looking for work soon.

A manager looking for work, too, and my current manager keeps getting on the wrong side of the district mgr (not that the DM has a right side, but she's usually in worse trouble than most), and is now afraid that she will be replaced.

So that's the turmoil for the day!

No comments: