Saturday, March 3, 2007

Books

Got this from http://egretsnest.blogspot.com/


Look at the list of books below:

  • Bold the ones you’ve read
  • Italicize the ones you want to read
  • If you are reading this (and haven't participated yet), tag, you’re it! (But only if you want to be it!)
  1. 1984 (George Orwell)
    Read in HS. "Important", but not all that entertaining.
  2. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
  3. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving) - oh yeah! I loved this one. A lot of Irving's usual stuff - orphans, illegitimacy, etc, but really well done, though it drags a bit at times
  4. A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)
    Read in HS, I think, but don't remember a whole lot. OTT melodrama at times, it being Dickens.
  5. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith) - total melodrama, had me crying at times when I read it when a teenager. It was already being mocked by Bugs Bunny right when it came out.
  6. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
  7. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)
    Very good, excellent, really startling awful poverty.
  8. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
  9. Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy)
    I always have the intention to....
  10. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)
  11. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
    I think I started it once and couldn't get into it and didn't see why everyone was so crazy about it and gave up after 50 or so pages
  12. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
  13. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley) - totalitarian, lots of sex
  14. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Helen Fielding)
    Oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah!
  15. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller) - meh. Maybe it's more for men?
  16. Charlotte's Web (E.B. White)
  17. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
  18. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
    I read about half of the Brothers Karamozov once and was sort of into it, then had to put it down for a while and never got back to it. That's my experience with Russian authors.
  19. Dune (Frank Herbert)
    I agree with Liza Lee: I kept wanting them to get better (though I never saw the movie)
  20. East of Eden (John Steinbeck) - seems like I read it, anyway
  21. Emma (Jane Austen)
    Jane Austen is the best ever. This isn't my favorite Austen by any stretch of the imagination, but it's still great.
  22. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
  23. Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald)
  24. Fifth Business (Robertson Davis)
  25. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
    Read it once and thought Scarlett was an idiot.
  26. Great Expectations (Charles Dickens)
  27. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (J.K. Rowling)
    HP is da bomb! My fav is stil OOTP.
  28. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (J.K. Rowling)
  29. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (J.K. Rowling)
  30. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (J.K. Rowling)
  31. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (J.K. Rowling)
  32. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb) - Did I read this one or She's Come Undone? Whichever was pretty good, but not enough to make me leap for the one I haven't read.
  33. In The Skin Of A Lion (Michael Ondaatje)
  34. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice)
    Nope, but saw the movie. Wasn't impressed.
  35. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte) - LOVED it when I was an adolescent. I'm gonna get slammed here, but I find all Bronte stuff adolescent...
  36. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
  37. Les Miserables (Victor Hugo) - I dragged through an English translation of this once.
  38. Life of Pi (Yann Martel) - Really, really cool. Wow.
  39. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
    Loved it as a kid.
  40. Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
    Huh? I didn't get it. OK, so I GOT it on the level of the message, but didn't see the point of writing a whole book about it.
  41. Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel García Márquez) - I always wish I liked Garcia Marquez better. The magic realism thing sometimes leaves me feeling unfulfilled, I guess.
  42. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden) - yeas! Great! I still haven't seen the movie, but keep meaning to.
  43. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
  44. Of Mice And Men (John Steinbeck) - Sweet, which is probably not Steinbeck's aim.
  45. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
    See above re: Cholera
  46. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
    I really liked it in a lot of ways, but thought it was just too much trying to be shoved in one book. And I just wanted to say: Stay away from the English guy. I don't care WHO he looks like, he's a nightmare.
  47. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen) - Now THIS is my favorite Austen. Ooooh Mr. Darcy!
  48. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier)
  49. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb) - see above re: the other Lamb book
  50. Shogun (James Clavell)
    I think I saw part of the 70's miniseries?
  51. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
  52. The Bible
    Used to know more about it than I do now
  53. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
  54. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
    Hated it in HS, Re-read it a couple of years ago and I can see some merit, but I think you have to be a guy. I liked Franny and Zooey better.
  55. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
  56. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
    LOVED it and maybe the first 1 or 2 of the sequels. Not sure at exactly what moment it changed from cave history to cave erotica. Nuthin wrong with erotica, I'm just sayin.
  57. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
    Saw part of the miniseries with Depardieu. Meh.
  58. The DaVinci Code (Dan Brown)
  59. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
  60. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
  61. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)
  62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)
  63. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck) - read it a long long time ago. Don't remember all that much...
  64. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck) - not sure how I got out of this one in HS.
  65. The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)
  66. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
    Loved it. Horribly depressing, but lots of food for thought.
  67. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
    Oh yes!
  68. The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)
    Always loved it, but never got into the Lord of the Rings.
  69. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
  70. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)
    My mom read it to us as kids and I've read it several times. My kids didn't get it first try, but they might have been too young.
  71. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
    Not sure what his point is, but interesting.
  72. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (J.R.R. Tolkien)
    Drags and drags. Movies were good, though ;)
  73. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (J.R.R. Tolkien)
  74. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (J.R.R. Tolkien)
  75. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold) - Creepy, sad, hopeful. I just checked out Lucky, too
  76. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)
  77. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)
    I checked it out once, but didn't get around to reading it.
  78. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton)
  79. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
  80. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver) - started it once, but didn't get far. I keep meaning to try again.
  81. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
  82. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
  83. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
  84. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd) - really good, sometimes predictable
  85. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Ann Brashares)
  86. The Stand (Stephen King) - never read or seen anything by him (except Stand By Me). I don't like scary stuff.
  87. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
  88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
  89. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
  90. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
  91. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrew Niffenegger)
    Liked it and didn't. Will probably read again.
  92. The World According to Garp (John Irving)
    Too violent, too whacked out. I like a lot of his other books better
  93. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
  94. Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom)
  95. Ulysses (James Joyce)
  96. War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy)
  97. Watership Down (Richard Adams)
    Read it a looooong time ago.
  98. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
  99. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
  100. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
    See above re: Jane Eyre

No comments: