Tuesday, March 27, 2007

general update

Quilt top: done. Putting another border on it, then it's ready for me to figure out what to use for backing. It'll probably be the floral stripe that I'm not using for the borders.

Book group last night: fun. I think that's the most we have ever talked about a book and not gotten very far off topic. Julia Scheeres was really nice and straightforward. She didn't stay long because her baby had a fever and I never did get around to asking any quesitons, though I threw out a few comments. I was tired and my head hurt, besides not being good at thinking on my feet.

Kids: healthy-ish. Runny noses and coughing, but it's drying up. Fingers crossed. We're trying to work out an incentive program so Calvin will stay on task at school. Yesterday was the first day and he didn't finish all his work. Maybe the day-to-day incentive will need to be more than that he gets to do a free-choice job - which is what his incentive was before. I'm thinking star chart?

Work: still there. I worked 7 hours yesterday when it was only supposed to be 4. I'm making up some time from when I had a fever last week. I got there early and the supervisor who was supposedto be there was late, so i worked a bit. Then the person who was supposed to come in when I left has class on Monday, so wasn't going to be in until 1 couple of hours after that. So I arranged my kids and stayed.

More on kids: they are discovering - and I am rediscovering - the joys of the Muppet Show. The library has the whole 1st season on DVD. Where are the shows like this these days? Back in myyyyyyy day!

PS: Sewing machines: I fixed my Singer commercial grade machine by brute force. I took a bunch of it apart before figuring out which parts I needed to wrestle with to get the timing back. So now the timing's back. I haven't tried to zigzag much of anything, but the straight stitch works! I still have to get the timing back on my tiny Janome in case I want to take it somewhere again. No glue next time, though!

1 comment:

Sheri said...

I don't know how old Calvin is, coming into your blog this late, but a star chart works well with kids of all ages that have issues with finishing work, completing a task, etc. I had a foster boy that earned a pinto bean every time he stayed on task in school for ten minutes (severe ADHD) and at the end of the day they counted up the beans and he earned a reward. It was very concrete and he could see how many beans he had so it worked well as an incentive. Ten beans and he got a sticker, fifteen beans he got an eraser--just little things, but he could also save them up and get something bigger. I also worked in a group home and that is how we rewarded the younger kids. Earn so many stars on your chart and you got to go to the outing at the end of the week or have an ice cream sundae or whatever it was. It was for behaviour (SED kids). And boys can be such a challenge--they just aren't physically meant to sit in a little chair for nine hours a day and learn! They are PHYSICAL--they learn better with their bodies in motion! I think boys and girls should go to separate classes until high school, when the boys have caught up with the girls and have better control of their bodies. Boys should be taught with motion and DOING things. I think they would do so much better than they do now. But that's just MHO--YMMV. Good luck with Calvin--I know how frustrating it is to find something that works!