Saturday, February 17, 2007

Saturday ramblings

The kids went with DH to the post office and then to play on the old train in the old town part of the next town over. There's some stuff about the history of the area there, gold miners' shacks, etc, so they will be gone for a while.

I have to go to work at 3 and am hoping that DH will be back to at least drive me there. It's only about a mile and I could call him to bring me home afterwards. The exercise would certainly be good for me, though maybe not right before 4 1/2 hours of being on my feet and carrying bolts of fabric and climbing the ladder to the loft to throw down pillows and batting. Besides, this is California. There's a law somewhere that says thou shalt use your car at all times. Maybe just a local law, because when you get closer to the liberal northern coast, they get more gung-ho about bikes and pollution and stuff.

I have to work tomorrow, too, because I asked for next Saturday off to help out at ds1's school. I haven't signed up for a task yet at the school so I might not actually get to help out. But sales at the fabric store this weekend and next weekend. Next weekend's a biggie, so it was a big deal for me to get Saturday off. I'll probably have to work next Sunday too!

I could hear my heart breaking when I picked up DS1's Valentines bag that he decorated at school and he had written "I am a dummy" on one side. He is one of the smartest kids I know and right up there with the most advanced in his class, but he doesn't like to write and he tends to space out and shut down instead of just getting it over with.

However, my heart was in much better shape when I looked at the other said where it says "DS1 loves DS2". Awwwww :)

There's so much going on in the people around me and some on email groups. A baby in the hospital, a woman's mother who just had a 5.5 hour surgery for a bleeding ulcer after collapsing and not being able to remember anyone, a friend's mother with Alzheimer's who is going downhill rapidly, my brother-in-law....

...no I'm not ready to talk about the heartache there for my poor sister and their kids. It will have to suffice to say that he didn't do it and is being unjustly punished and his punishment, though supposed to be not so severe, is actually being made worse because the system is protecting him. I saw a picture of him and my heart almost broke. This is a guy I barely know, because I haven't spent a lot of time with him and he doesn't talk much around people he doesn't know well.

Spring is springing here. It's quite possible that we won't have any more frost severe enough to kill anything. Since the frost nearly did in my beautiful rubber plant - I should take and post of a picture of how pathetic it looks right now with all those branches and 3 leaves - and did in the jalapeno plant that had survived last winter in a protected spot, I am glad. It also seems to have killed off my enormous African Daisies that have been growing since the first summer we moved in. So I was out there shaking my fist at old Jack Frost. Then I got control of myself and realized that it will open up a space for me to plant something else there this year, maybe corn or more tomato plants.

DS2 and I planted a bunch of seeds a week or so ago and we have lots of sprouts coming up. I didn't label the pots, but I recognize some of them - snow peas, corn, broccoli, something, um fuzzy, maybe it's the watermelons, what might be lettuce, 2 onion plants. The tomato seeds got disturbed in the watering process, but I can see two that ended up on the surface starting to sprout. I need to get out and clean up and double-dig my garden. And stir my compost around and take out what I can. I don't stir it much, so I don't get a lot of compost out of it, but it's more satisfying to put our scraps out there rather than fill the landfill with banana peels.

I should eat some lunch and go take a shower, but I am feeling lethargic, as usual. I have about 40 books out of the library and I need to sort through and figure out which I absolutely have to turn in next week so I can prioritize. Weird.

http://tinyurl.com/qmde - way cool experiment on fake smiles - I got 13 out of 20.

http://tinyurl.com/2agygr - wow wow wow knitting project - a whole garden.

(thanks for those 2 links to truly scrumptious phantasmagorical cherry - don't ask!)

No comments: