Saturday, May 3, 2008

yummy yummy yummy yummy fruit salaaaaaad

Boys were watching the Wiggles a bit ago. It's been a while since they did that regularly. They never dance along anymore, but DS1 was singing.

And now I want to make fruit salad for supper. Oh, I was going to make chicken stew, but I don't have the energy. I think I'll just bake some chicken instead.

I read a brand new suspense/action romance novel by an author that I usually like and it bored me silly. I mean loads of chatting and repeating that didn't advance the plot. It could have been a short story, but it was a 350 page long trade paperback. So comedies by Donna Kauffman yes: suspense, no.

I am currently reading a Harlequin Blaze by Leslie Kelly. I got it because someone recommended another book of hers (a longer novel, not a series one) and I liked it pretty well and this one is set in the same town with some characters overlapping. She's a pretty good writer and I am going to see what I can get by her from the library.

DD has been down for a nap for over 2 hours right now so I am almost done with my quilt top. I ran out of the fabric I was using for the last row of binding and need to go buy about a quarter of a yard of it; I'm really really hoping that there is still a 1/4 yard of it. Since I deviated from my pattern on the borders, I have quite a bit of one fabric left and have run out of everything else. I was planning on keeping the last yard of lava/peacock fabric for myself, but ended up using it in the border, all but a piece about 4 inches wide and 10 inches long. Sigh. Oh, and it's going to be about 96" x 96" which is what, 8 feet? Not as long as your usual queen size quilt, but a bit wider. I hope it looks OK on their bed. I took some pictures which I will post when Dh come and reboots the other computer that he has booted up in Linux.

Speaking of which, I bought Quilter's Newsletter this month on the strength of the picture on the cover: http://www.qnm.com/webextras/feature366/ I would love to have A) the skill; and B) the patience to make something like that. Not in oranges, though. I could make the pattern pieces larger and use solid pieces instead of the teeny tiny triangles that make up the feathers and make the curved square-ish pieces straight lines instead of curves and.... well, basically, I wouldn't be making the same quilt at all. Dreaming the impossible dream :)

Dh mowed the lawn! I should have made this the first item, probably, since it hasn't happened in a very very long time. He even did the back yard, which hasn't been mowed in a couple of years. It doesn't have a sprinkler system back there, so it all gets dried out and turns to hay and then in the fall when the rains start again, it flops over and new grass starts growing. It turns so hard that the kids won't be able to run around barefoot in it over the summer, but it is nonetheless easier to run in it this way than with 2 foot tall dried-out spikes of death.

I have one part of my vegetable garden that I want to dig out to put in some tomato plants this year. Usually, I put in a lot more stuff, but since I haven't started and don't generally have a lot of time when I'm not either feeding or carrying the baby, I won't. I keep looking at it and not doing it, so I need to wet it down and dig it up and shovel some of our copious compost into it. I'm thinking of getting some plastic to put down to keep the moisture in and the weeds from growing.

Oh, and another tidbit that should be at the top: Isabelle slept ALL NIGHT last night - from 10:30-ish to 6:30. Knock on wood that it's not a fluke. I woke up with torpedoes.

Anyway, I shouldn't have thought about the baby, because now the milk's threatening to come out.

No comments: