Thursday, December 3, 2009

I love kids

My own kids and other peoples' kids.

As I have mentioned, I think, DS1 and all the 4th graders from their school are at Sutter's Fort today. We had to get to school early and were supposed to leave there at 8:15. They tried to get us to roll out at about 8, but DS2's classroom wasn't supposed to be open until 8:15. I walked him over and his assistant teacher was already there so she said he could hang out with her until school started. Phew!

Anyway, we loaded 2 of the burlap sacks that they had put all their clothes and sleeping bags, etc in for the night (they were all supposed to be delivered together, but didn't fit) and I loaded up DS1 and one of his classmates, whom I will refer to as J.

We are barely out of the school, when J asks about DD, who is sitting there silently staring at him. He then proceeds to say that his dad wanted a girl and will never have one because after his little brother was born, his dad was fixed. I then had to explain to him that when you fix a dad and when you fix a cat, it's not the same thing. I hope I stayed appropriate, but yeesh. I don't know your dad, and I certainly haven't seen his balls, but... So the subject of cats and kittens and fixing goes on for a while. And then the subject of how many years between kids. And then Wii Fit.

So anyway, I drove into Sacramento through bad traffic and fog, still sleepy because we had to get up earlier than usual, but with a grin.

Then once down there at the train museum, all the kids had to stand around in the cold (above freezing, but not by a whole lot) for almost 45 minutes because the drivers for the covered wagons were caught in traffic, too. Helloooooo, we're all here by just after 9, surely you can plan on getting down there and getting the horses hitched up on time? But anyway...

DD and I hung around and got cold and charmed 4th graders until they got in the wagons and then I drove over to the fort to drop off my 2 overnight bags. I went around the fort 1 1/2 times before I figured out where to pull up to hand them off. Then we came home.

DD is infatuated with a game we have called Hullaballoo. It's a speaker thingy that plays music and tells you which color or shape or whatever to get on. It's almost like Twister, but the pads are separate and the computerized thing calls out the move. So I proceeded to have to hear the stinkin' Hullaballoo thing for more than half an hour before DD wound down enough to nurse and then to start to fall asleep.

I cut a strip of fabric for a cravat for DS1, but decided to just let him button up his shirt all the way. And I bet he was thankful for the long underwear out there in the cold. He might have to strip down later today to take it off so he won't overheat, but I beet he'll be thankful for it again at bedtime because they'll be in a big, drafty room heated only by a wood fire and his sleeping bag is fairly thin (fine for sleepovers in heated homes). Brrrr.

No comments: