Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I guess this means I'm a real author, eh?

I was reading my google reader blog feed just now (as I click around one-handed with dd on my lap drinking milk and maybe falling asleep) and came across this, by Robyn DeHart of the Sisterhood of the Jaunty Quills:


"Except when those character voices are for book ideas you have no business thinking about. Here I am diligently working on this book and yet I keep hearing these two characters from a new idea, and they’re having the most intriguing conversations. Now I know for a fact that that book, nor any other, will be any easier to write than the one I’m currently working on. But despite the fact that I know this, I’m able to delude myself. As if my muse is a siren seducing me with tempting morsels of a new and wonderful and shiny idea. It’s like chocolate chip cookies baking, that delicious aroma filling my senses and making my mouth water. That’s what this new idea is doing. I’m dying to write the proposal, dying to brainstorm the whole concept with my writing buds. But I try to keep it aside and focus on the task at hand."

Which is why I have this whole plot and characters for a Renaissance French book running through my head and I keep writing scenes, coming up with stuff as I lie in bed half awake, etc etc and yet I AM SUPPOSED TO BE DOING A FINAL MAJOR OVERHAUL OF MY FIRST VICTORIAN NOVEL SO I CAN START QUERYING. (yes, I put that in caps on purpose. I'm yelling at myself.)

No comments: