Friday, November 20, 2009

a few updates

On Monday - or maybe Tuesday? - I completed 50,000 words of fiction this month. Since then, I have hit a huge slump. But hey, I'm a NaNoWriMo winner again. Phew!

Since then, I have helped the 4th graders at the kids' school learn to sew with a machine (even though sewing machines hadn't yet been commercialized in 1847, the date of their reenactment at Sutter's Fort next month. I have also sewed a black vest/waistcoat for DS1, whose role is a 40-something year old businessman named James Reed. I need to find some sort of frock coat for him and some pants. And cravat and hat. Oy.

I also got the kids vaccinated for H1N1 at the county clinic. The line was really short last night when I just went by to check and hte boys got the mist and the toddler got a nasty old shot but recovered quickly. We're supposed to get a booster in a month. I wonder if the seasonal vax is still available, too?

We all have had sniffly colds for a week or so now. And DS2's friend who spent the night last Saturday has come down with strep.

We have a week off now to come down with or make sure we don't come down with a whole list of diseases.

And geez are we ever off to a flying start. The boys have been cranky and crazy and goofy and just plain pains in the BUTT for a few days. Especially the day we had a zillion errands to do. And now today. I think I'll take them to school all next week anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Phyllis,

one question about the swineflu-shot: do you also get the vaccine with the enhancers or without? Here over the pond we get such mixed information that the willingness of the population is not overwhelming. Especially since our government and military got a different vaccine than the rest (without enhancers).
Since then the media hopped on the government's wagon and started to spread panic, only now there's a a severe shortage of the vaccine anyway and the panic isn't doing much good. Oh well.

Best wishes from Munich, Doris

Philippa Lodge said...

Doris - I haven't heard anything at all about that. What are enhancers? Maybe the preservatives? We were in line with a nurse and a couple other adults in "sensitive" jobs and She got the same stuff puffed up her nose as my kids.