Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Goal setting

Oh right. No one has the link to this blog yet, so does it matter if I update it? Tree falling in the forest, etc.

My resolve to find a new job grows. I have developed tennis elbow from lifting, carrying, yanking on, and otherwise manipulating heavy bolts of fabric. It needs rest, but how can I rest it, even at 20-ish hours a week? Interesting conversation with a fellow supervisor at work, in which we talked about low pay for ever-increasing workload and fewer payroll hours to do it all in - not even enough next week to have full staffing in the store at all times, apparently. If it weren't for the fact that we don't have anyone waiting in the wings to be promoted to my job and I don't want to screw over my co-supoervisors and especially not my manager, I might quit.

Extra day of rest for me and my belbow today, though, as DS2's cold has gained a low fever along with his horrendous quantities of mucus and gurgly coughing, so is watching the Wiggles dance around instead of going to school. He has probably already infected everyone there with it, since I sent him on Monday when he was just coughing and snotting a little bit. Since I'm gurgling and coughing too, I'm not exactly sad about staying home.

My sewing machine is still not working, though. The timing is so far off now that I'm going to have to shell out some more cash to get it fixed by a professional. I am going to have to plug in my old one and see if I can make it work, because I have several projects I want to get started on. Heck, just finishing a few repairs would be great.

I have some gorgeous blue and white fabric, some from work some not, that I want to make into a quilt. I haven't decided on the pattern yet, but it will involve squares, since triangles usually whip my buttocks and end up lumpy. I saw a really cool pattern in a book and need to find the book again. It had 4 different fabrics each in lights and darks and ended up looking about like a diagonal stripe. I might go with a 4 patch that fades from light to dark across the quilt, but big squares might not give the effect the way I dream it, and I just won't work with little tiny things, sorry.

I have written about 40 pages of the book I am working on, the longest I have ever held an idea in my head. I am about 1/3 of the way through the main plot and I think I know where I am going, but have bogged down and have been doing little tweaks and corrections instead of getting the rest down on paper. Up on the screen. Whatever. I like what I have so far, but know there's a lot left to be said. I haven't been able to get into the male protagonist's head as much as I want and I'm not even sure how the female protagonist is going to grow and change and face her life with new resolve and gusto. I guess I'll find out as I write, but she's too much like me and I don't know what I am going to be when I grow up, either.

I dreamt up another idea, literally, though it's more back story for something else, I would guess. Once she gets shipped off to a psychiatric hospital in my dream, I don't know where she can go after that unless I jump in time to after she's recovered and is grown up and facing her demons and her past. I have pretty weird dreams...

So my goal for today is to write a new scene and to decide on a pattern to follow for this quilt - and how big I want it to be. For the rest of the week is to work out the general direction of my story and to get it cut out and start sewing.

And oh, yeah, fix up my resume!

Phyllis

No comments: